94 pathfinder, check engine light is on

I have a 94 Nissan Pathfinder and the check engine light is on. I pulled the battery terminals to reset the light, that worked for a couple of weeks. The light came back on, pull the bat again, the light came back on again. I always make sure the gas cap is snug, so I am sure it's not that. I was going to change the Oxygen Sensor but it is a bit expensive and I don't know if that is what is causing the problems.

So, my question is, is there anyway that I can find out what caused the "check engine" light to come on?

If so, please reply Thanks Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Grant

Take a look at the FAQ on

The Pathfinder is the same.

Reply to
Jim

The O2 sensor is usually the culprit in this situation. Unfortunately, I believe that engine has two of them, and it takes a diagnostic tool of some sort to determine which sensor is bad.

Reply to
ppointer

ypu'll probably have to change both O2 sensors - because it might not pass Inspection.

Reply to
Robert

Change your O2 sensor. On my 94 Pathfinder, there's only one sensor, not two. It is located on the exhaust pipe after the y-pipe on the driver's side. You can't miss the thing.

Reply to
GuyST

GuyST::

I also have a 94 and the last 2 State inspections (TX) - it had to be tested

2 times - each time the guy said that OS2 might be going bad, but it passed the inspection per guidelines.

When did you change yours - date / milage?

I have 183,000 and still havent had to change it. Ya your right - after thinking about it - the 94 only has 1 OS2.

my local Foreign Car parts house has it for $110.00 with the factory connnector / or for $62.00 and you splice the wires yourself.

Unfortunately,

Reply to
Robert

Have you retrieved the DTC code from the ECU? if not then you might be on a wild goose chase. Get the code from ECU, a $15 Chilton manual will tell you how to retrieve it(and other info regarding ur car ;) ). That will be a good start.

Reply to
pixiq72