'94 Sentra Cooling Fan

I discovered this week that one of my radiator cooling fans has been dead, I have no idea for how long. I only noticed because while sitting in non-moving traffic in 100 degree weather, I noticed the temperature gauge creeping up. After resuming driving it went back down to it's normal horizontal spot. This prompted me to check the fans, and sure enough, the driver's side one is quite dead. My question is this: Do I really need to replace it? I see in Chiltons that the non A/C models only use one fan, my temperature's fine if the car's moving or if it's less than 90 outside, there's only another month or so of summer, what do you think? Is there a difference between the port and starboard fan assys?

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
TKörner

on 8/10/2007 12:13 AM TKörner said the following:

Have you thought about having it checked? It may be something simple, like a dirty connection.

Reply to
willshak

I removed it, and it's getting 14 volts at the connector, but when I spin the fan manually it doesn't spin freely, it's rough with a scratchy noise. I thing the motor has gone bad.

Mike

Reply to
TKörner

u definitely need to fix the problem, engines operate best at a fixed temperature. the engine cooling fan is generally the larger one. the other one is the AC condensor fan.

check continuity on ur fan motor or apply jumpers from battery to fan motor (to test motor), check fuse or relay (whichever your model has), check temp sender. the cooling fan is controlled by the ECCS module using inputs from the temp sensor, the VSS, and the AC "on" signal.

Reply to
nucleus

on 8/10/2007 10:05 AM TKörner said the following:

Look for an electric motor repair shop in your Yellow pages. They can replace brushes or bearings, and it will probably cost less to fix than buying a new Nissan fan unit.

Reply to
willshak

I bit the bullet and bought a new fan assembly. $66, easy installation, better safe than sorry.

Mike

Reply to
TKörner

I replaced the fan assy, and all is well, but just out of curiosity, my fans appear to be the same size, is there a difference? They both are controlled by the temp sensor and the A/C, I've not seen one run without the other (except when the one was dead). What is VSS?

Mike

Reply to
TKörner

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.