94 Sentra Transmission?

I am having a problem starting my 94 automatic Sentra. I usually have to jiggle the gearshifter or sometimes shift to neutral to start the car. Can someone tell me what the most likely cause is and what kind of cost I am looking at? It would help me before I go looking for estimates. Thanks.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Wagoner

There is a neutral switch which is mounted on the trans shift linkage, when trans is in park/neutral, the switch makes connection and compeletes the electrical circuit to allow the starter to run when you start the car. Sounds like you might have flakey/dirty switch or a miss-align switch, that is not closing contact with the switch. Also check harness connection of the cable. If you have a multimeter, then you can check resistance of the switch assembly.

Reply to
jjjsan

This will give me something to look at. Thanks.

Reply to
Richard Wagoner