95 Pathfinder Odometer Failure

Odometer on PF just stopped working. Speedometer works fine. Any suggestions for troubleshooting before I fork over $'s to a dealer? If it makes any difference, the vehicle has an auto trans.

Reply to
SGS

The fact that the Speedometer works fine would indicate that the speed sensor and the wiring up to the instrument cluster is ok. What I have been able to glean so far is that the signal from the speed sensor (an AC generator) goes directly to the Instrument Cluster, through a flexible PC, and to the combination Speedometer/Odometer. From that combination a circuit also goes to the computer.

I believe the Pathfinder, and the pickup are very similar. I have ordered a factory service manual for my 95 4x4 pickup to address (among other things) an inoperative speedometer and odometer. It should be here anytime, so when it does I will answer your post with more complete information.

Louis

Reply to
Louis Bybee

Common problem.

Just a little FYI for you, where ever you take your pathpuppie weather it is the dealership or Joe blow's shade tree garage , you are going to have to pay $$$.

So that being know, go to the dealership a buy a new speedometer head and have it calibrated to the mileage that you are showing now on you odometer and have it installed. Don't waste time , the longer you wait the value of your vehicle decreases, it becomes what is know in the industry as a TMU vehicle (true mileage unknown) , that means it is basically worthless when it comes to resale/trade in value

Reply to
NissTech

Louis, Thanks for the info. Did you order the manuals from a dealer -- or where? How many volumes? What did you pay?

Reply to
SGS

NT, Wish I could take it to Joe Blow - I've got a really good one. In NJ, at least, only the dealer can touch the OD. Once, long time ago, after resetting the trip OD, the unit briefly stopped working. After hitting the reset a few times it started working and has been fine for years. I think it just needs a good wack, but it's not in a very wackable location. But, I don't want to add to the rip-off-cost I'm about to experience, by causing collateral damage.

Reply to
SGS

I guess you have to ask yourself what is your pathpuppie worth....

a few hundred bucks to fix the odometer or the remaining trade in value of the vehicle, once the TMU label is attached to your vehicle, at that moment it becomes basically worthless

you can go to edmunds.com and research the value of your vehicle and it may help you make you decision

Reply to
NissTech

I ordered it from Nissan Publications. I got the phone number from a Nissan Dealer Parts Dept. (but I can't locate the number at the moment).

One volume for $74 including postage.

I haven't received it yet (they said 4-6 weeks). :-[

Louis--

********************************************* Remove the two fish in address to respond
Reply to
Louis Bybee