96 Maxima Odometer

Bought a 96 Maxima GLE a few months ago from a used car dealer. After about

700 miles the odometer and tripometer stopped working. Every once in a while it will rack up a few miles but for the most part they're dead.

Two questions:

1) Should I be suspicious about the coincidence of this occurring after buying the car from a used car dealer? Any possible tampering?

2) Any guesses of what the problem is? Internal to the speedometer unit? It there a mechanical cable that goes from the transmission to under the dash? Is it all electronic? The speedometer works fine. Just the odometer and tripometer that don't work.

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Did you check the VIN of this car? I may be able to check it if I can find access, the records might show a good summary of the odometer history.

Reply to
dave stone

i have the same problem.

my trip counter stops, pause then resume. sometimes. But the odemeter keep going. to me, it's not worth the money to remove the dash and installed a new one.

Reply to
BLACCKNIGHT

The odometer just died on my 96 Max. I have owned it since it was new, so I know there has been no foul play. I've just started looking for a solution myself...

Reply to
stevomatic2000