96 200 SX Ignition Switch

Hi. I'm having a problem with my 200SX where all the circuits which run through the ignition switch will intermittently go dead. When this happens, I have no warning lights (the ones that come on with the key in "run", and the engine off), and the engine dies and the starter will not crank. Usually, if left alone for a few minutes, everthing will come back to life, and the engine will restart. I'm thinking that the ignition switch is going bad. If anyone has had a similar experience with this vehicle, I'd be interested in hearing about how you solved the problem.

Thanks.

Reply to
OldScout

You might want to check the accessory line where it connects to the positive battery terminal.

Reply to
JimV

Thanks for the reply. The first time this problem appeared, (a couple of weeks ago), I did pull that connector at the positive terminal, and plugged it back in. That solved the problem at the time. That fix did not work this last time. Perhaps the connector is corroded. I'll check that.

Thanks.

Reply to
OldScout

Honda had a huge recall of ignition switches several years ago. The symptom if a bad one was exactly as you describe. If it does it again, try exerting light pressure on the key towards the start position when you try to restart it. If it will run as long as you are holding the key and stops the instant you release it, the likely problem is the switch (not the key cylinder, the switch itself).

Reply to
E Meyer

Is there a circuit breaker in that circuit that could be getting hot and opening up?

There are three blue relays in the fuse block which were pretty warm when I was looking for gremlins under the dash the other day. How hot should these be normally?

Thanks.

Reply to
OldScout