96 king cab speedometer

I have just acquired a 96 king cab,the previous owner changed the tranny from auto to manual.The clutch does not engage very smoothly and the speedometer works on and off,it drops from a sensible reading to zero and fluctuates widely, the odometer and trip clock also works on and off what could it be?please help me?

Reply to
96xekingcab

i read somewhere that some speedometers work from a cable in the tranny while some work from an electric sensor which also controls the odometer and the trip clock, does the 96 king cab use the sensor? it seems so to me cus when speedometer stops working the odometer stops also.

Reply to
96xekingcab

It's electric (no cables no more :-) ). I forget what exact year Nissan switched everything over but it was early 90's at the latest. It `could' be a speed sensor, but I think you'll find that the majority of the time when your speedometer AND odometer stop working together that the speedo assembly has failed and it's time for a replacement. Not terribly expensive from the parts department and they'll match up your mileage when you place the order so you shouldn't need to fool with special forms in some states due to the mileage not matching the vehicle (like you're `suppose' to do if you replace it with a speedo from a salvage yard with 40,000 miles when yours has 140,000 miles).

Wil

Reply to
Truck