Help - 96 Maxima Blower not working

The blower on my wife's 96 stopped working today (and it is supposed to be 25 in Georgia tomorrow morning). I have done a bunch of reading tonight about the resistor pack problems that effect the 1,2, and 3 positions on the blower control, and then 4 works fine. Mine does not work at any position. I have checked both blower fuses and they are fine. Is there any chance that I could replace the resistor and have it work again or is there another part that I should be looking into. I am certainly no EE but I put the meter on the resistor and I get about 7.4 volts (it think they were volts) in the off position and it goes to 0 when I put the switch on 1,2,3, or 4.

The car in question is a 1996 Maxima SE, Auto tranny, Manual climate control, 68,000 miles.

Any help that you can provide would be great.

Eric

Switch from aol.com to adelphia.net to reply via e-mail.

Reply to
BantaE

Nope the resistors

Reply to
Steve

No, it doesn't sound like the resistor pack.

That sounds really strange. Anyway I'd be testing at the motor and think for simple things like this a test lamp is much better than a volt meter as you can easily have enough volts for a meter to see something but no amps.

Reply to
Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the input I will test the motor tonight.

Eric

Reply to
BantaE

This is classic fan motor resistor failure in 4th gen Maximas, but your voltmeter readings do look strange. I suggest you replace the resistors and see how it goes from there.

CD

BantaE wrote:

Reply to
Codifus

Codifus wrote

Well as a follow up I thought I would post the events of tonight. I took the blower motor out and took the squirl cage off to take a look at it. When I tested the contacts I got 12 volts. I turned the switch on and low and behold the fan started spinning. Put everything back together and it is still working. I will post again if it stops.

Thanks to all who helped.

Eric

Reply to
BantaE

My guess would be the brushes were stuck, the brush springs are broken or the brushes are almost worn out..

Reply to
Steve