99 Nissan Sentra SE 2.0 - Codes

  1. Can anyone tell me how the knock sensor works and how it senses the knock? (Code P0325)

Thanks

Danielle

Reply to
DanielleOM

Hi Danielle,

The sensor is a piezo electric sensor. It means that when it gets shocked, as from the engine knocking, it will generate an electric impulse, that is then used by the ECM (engine control module) to try to prevent further pinging, by retarding the spark, making the fuel mix a lil richer, etc etc.

Code PO0325 refers to a problem with the circuit of the knock sensor, not with actual knocking of the engine.

This is most likely an indication of a faulty knock sensor, but it could also be a problem with the wiring leading to the sensor, etc etc.

I am not sure, but having a 4 cyl engine, i would think that replacing the sensor is not too difficult.

1stnissanparts.com lists the sensor for $148

Good luck,

AS

DanielleOM wrote:

Reply to
AS

AS wrote in news:u7CdnUoFNfcIIuDSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

IOW,when the piezo element is mechanically vibrated by the physical "knock",it generates an electric impulse.

accessing the sensor might be hard;they sometimes are in hard-to-reach places. like high up between the engine and firewall.

Or get a used one from a junkyard.

you can download sections of the Nissan service manual for your vehicle at

Jim Yanik