Can't find CHECK ENGINE light!!

I have a friend who really needs to find his check engine light.

He has a '97 Nissan Pick-up truck, 2.4L, 4 cylinder.

Is the light just below the left turn signal, just above the oil light on the right, etc.?

It no longer lights up at startup and he is hoping it is just the bulb. He took apart the dash and found a lot of lights, but he can't find one labelled 'check engine' anad he doesn't remember where he last saw it (more than a year ago.) If he doesn't replace or repair the light, he will fail his emissions test, he tells me.

If the bulb is good, and replacing it doesn't help, is there another likely reason why it wouldn't go on when he first starts the car? I know on some cars, some lights are just grounded when the ignition is in Start, and if one goes on they all should, but I don't know anything recent about any of this.

Is it this simple, guaranteed to go on for the test period, when starting, if the bulb is good?

He only has 2 weeks to fix this.

Thanks a lot.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter.

meirman

I don't have a 'Check Engine' warning indicator that lights up when the key is turned. I do get a 'Service Engine Soon' indicator that is on the left side of the lower center cutout where the various indicators are located. There is a space to the left of the Service Engine indicator in the cutout that appears large enough to hold another indicator, but it is blank, as well as other areas in that cutout. Pictorially, with (X) indicating a blank area, it would be: (X), Service engine soon, (X), ABS, (X),(X),(X), Brake, Seat belts, Oil, Battery.

97 king pu, 2.4, 4x4, 47k miles.
Reply to
Bill Schnakenberg

Reply to
JimV

In alt.autos.nissan on Wed, 28 Apr 2004 12:42:48 -0400 JimV posted:

He's tried that. Couldn't see anything. Maybe it's a different model dash.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter.

meirman

In alt.autos.nissan on Wed, 28 Apr 2004 15:39:09 GMT Bill Schnakenberg posted:

Yeah, I just talked to him and that's what he has, too. :)

This sounded right to him. He's going to replace it, without further testing. I'm thinking that will probably settle it. Thanks a lot, from him and me.

And also to JimV.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter.

meirman

Unplug the MAP or airflow sensor and you'll find it.

Reply to
Meat-->Plow

In alt.autos.nissan on Wed, 28 Apr 2004 15:39:09 GMT Bill Schnakenberg posted:

I'll call him and tell him this. OK, I did, and he says it looks good. Thanks.

(I should have said that his is not a king (King's are bigger in some way, right?) and definitely not a 4x4. Just 2-wheel drive. )