cleaning ignition switch in 1984 Stanza

My Stanza has 150,000 miles. For years, occasionally when I turn the key to crank, all I hear is a faint whir behind me. The second try always works. I'd like to be sure the switch contacts are clean.

Lately, I have sometimes had trouble unlocking the cylinder; other times, it is smooth. I'd like to be sure the tumblers are clean and lubricated.

I'd like to remove the lock cylinder and switch for cleaning. The manual says to break the screws that hold the assembly to the steering column. Is that the only way?

Besides the four wires running to the switch, I see two running to the side of the cylinder. I haven't found them in the wiring diagram. What are they for?

Reply to
j Burns

Well, I cleaned it in place. I assumed if contact cleaner went through the lock to the contacts, it would help and not hurt them.

I'd spray into the hole, work the key, and spray again. When I started, the key wouldn't turn if pushed all the way in. I've seen that with other locks. A few squirts of contact cleaner fixed it. I wouldn't have guessed dirty tumblers wouldn't allow a key to work in its normal position.

In the past, the key used to get hot. I figured that meant the ON contacts were dirty. It hasn't gotten hot enough to feel lately, but now what the case was exposed, I monitored it with an IR thermometer. I found that with three amps, the temperature didn't rise even a degree. If they were dirty in the past, I guess they're clean today.

Reply to
j Burns