'94 Sentra 4-dr with bad ignition switch. How hard to replace???

Iv'e been having problems with this thing for a year now, especially in cold weather. But I found out how to finesse it into starting by sliding the key around in the lock when in the start position.

But now, even that won't work! I think I understand the instructions in my Haynes manual, but parts houses make a distinction bewteen the "lock assembly" and the "ignition switch -- electrical part". How do I find out which one I need?

This was a good, reliable car, 220K+ miles or no. I've got a new car now, but I want this old one back in reliable running condition before I try to sell it.

Can anybody help? Please?

Roy Fenimore

Reply to
Roy Fenimore

It costs me a fortune last time. Infiniti charged so much, I was on the road 1,500 miles away from home when this happened to me, so you're lucking this happened at your home.

If the key won't turn then you got to drill to get the old lock out. Towing is also expensive. Then after this happened I lost my lovely dog who went with me on my trip. Sad story.

Reply to
Tim

I replaced all the locks on my '93 SE-R (factory kit, under $200 from courtesy Nissan) so the same key worked properly in all the doors/locks...

The column lock is a 2 piece assembly,

  1. Key lock cylinder
  2. Switch assembly at the far end of the cylinder (held in place by a screw)

The cylinder is part of a clamp/collar around the steering column. The screws shear their heads as part of the installation, so you have to drill them out (Anti theft device).

Usually people loose the original keys, and the copies are poor (and get worse with each copy). The ignition is the best/most picky lock on the vehicle.

If the key will not turn, 'flipping' it over may help (the tumblers only use one side, and one side may work better than the other...

Reply to
Gary

It's good to relfex on other models.

Yes, mine is an Anti theft device.