Contemplating a pathfinder

Just a couple of questions....I'm comtemplating purchasing a pathfinder....what kind of fuel mileage can I expect? I know that's an unfair question, but generlly speaking? Also is there anything I should look for in particular? Looking at early 90's

Thanks in advance DRR

Reply to
DRR

On my '95 (a/t, 4wd), I average around 18mpg for mixed traveling. Currently I have 122,000 miles on the odometer but you'd never know it. :-)

What to look for... well if you can't verify when the timing belt was last changed, do it and do it immediately or you'll sacrifice your valves. Also the water pump, t-belt tensioner, cam/crank seals, and everything else that properly goes along with that service. But anyhow... :-)

Exhaust manifold studs. When the engine is stone cold and it's started, listen for the tell-tale tapping (sounds like poorly adjusted valves) when lightly tapping the gas while hold the brake with the vehicle in gear. If you're not sure of what you're listening for take someone who is. You don't want to confuse injector clicking (a good sign) for the early warnings of a freshly broken stud.

Just do the typical look over. Make sure the rear hatch latch works properly, if the vehicle has a factory alarm then set it and test it out. If the remotes (key fobs) are missing, make sure the alarm switch is turned on and then put a front window down, lock the doors and shut it up. Once the system has beeped that it's armed reach in, unlock the door from the inside and open the door, it should trigger. If not, then you know there's a fault somewhere with the system.

Aside from just basic maintenance items I can't think off hand of anything that sticks out needing attention. Just the common sense items on used vehicles really.

Should you end up with one, just have the fluids all (oil, coolant, axles, transfer, etc.) changed out with the proper replacements (ask here if you're not sure what to use, we'd all be only too happy to help), do the full tune-up routine and other items (plugs, cap + rotor, maybe wires, hoses, belts, cooling system flush, etc.) and you're on your way to owning a long lasting vehicle.

In all the time I've owned mine I've only had 2 unexpected items go out, the alternator and the speedometer. But when you figure that the vehicle is 9 years old with over 122,000 miles... well who can complain? :-) I'll take those odds any day. LOL

Loving, and properly maintaining, mine the last 4 years,

Wil

Reply to
Truck