'98 Pathfinder SE--opinions?

Hello all!

I'm looking at a '98 Pathfinder SE with 56k miles on the odometer.

Any words of caution/wisdom? Anything I should look out for or expect if I decide to get this vehicle?

No thought is too small to share, so share away! =)

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I'm in NJ, if it makes a difference.

Reply to
Tera Baap

They are great trucks. The '98 is a little underpowered, but sufficient if you don't tow anything big. No major problem areas, but they do eat front struts about every 30K (which makes the steering feel loose).

Reply to
Jim

I agree with the other poster on towing. The rating of up to 5,000 lbs. is way too optimistic. Even 3500 lbs. is pushing it. Also, expect to get lousy gas mileage. Otherwise, great truck.

Reply to
ppointer

Thanks, both for replying.

I'm not really going to be towing anything. It's primarily going to be a commuter car for me. (drive 40 miles to work 1 way). The point about it guzzling gas is a valid one. I guess this much may be expected from any SUV. The struts and loose steering issue is important as well.

Thanks, again.

P.S. I'd be grateful to anyone else who has anything else to add.

Reply to
Tera Baap

You may want to give the underside a good going over to make sure it was not used for seious off roading. The owners Manual can be downloaded from Nissan. Extra Keyless entry remotes (with or without programming) can be purchased on E-bay for about $20. You should get a CarFax report to make sure the Mileage is right and title is clean.

Reply to
Gene

Reply to
stu&brenda