Doors lock when starting engine??

Here's a new one, my 99 Altima, 5 speed, suddenly has started occasionally locking all 4 doors when I start the car. It happens immediately as the starter engages. It only seems to happen in colder weather, and it only happens when I have the clutch pushed in (which is the only way the starter will turn).

I have keyless entry and the factory alarm, so it seems like it might be related to that somehow. I took the smart entrance box out today and checked for any bad solder joints or loose connections, but everything seemed ok.

Is there any other connection between the starter and the power locks that would explain this?

Reply to
JM

How old is your battery? The voltage drop from the starter might be confusing the lock controller.

Reply to
JimV

Well, it's not new -- it could very well be the original one. That's a good point, I'll see if I can put a meter on the battery while turning it over and check the voltage.

Reply to
JM

I tried it last weekend after having drained the battery to the point of barely turning the engine over, and it didn't lock... but today I discovered it only locks when the front passenger's door is unlocked while starting.

I also pulled the starter signal fuse, and it does not lock when I turn the key to start in this case.

So it seems like the security module is sensing that door locking for some reason when I start the car, which causes it to lock all the doors, which it normally does if you lock that door by hand.

I guess the next step is going to be to unplug the sensor on that lock and see if it continues to lock on startup. My guess is that that won't make any difference; it seems like it's more of an electronic problem likely within the module itself.. maybe I will stick the charger on my battery again since I'm able to reproduce the problem reliably now, and see if that has any impact.

Reply to
JM