1997 tahoe keyless entry

ok well i just bought a 1997 tahoe 4wd 4dr w/ a 5.7 vortec... I got it from a used car dealer and i was wandering if it would have a keyless entry system from the factory??? it has a small red led in the one blank besides the radio but it doesnt light up??? An alrm system???? I didnt receive any key fobs but what should i look for to see if it has a remote entry system stock???? also once in a while the windshield wipers will stop in the middle of the windsheild or wherever i turn off the switch instead of goin all the way back down.... any ideas??? thanks

Reply to
bassfishin911

My guess it had some Aftermarket Alarm installed at some point in the past and it was removed. It may be a hacked wire mess under the dash. I'm guessing you do have power locks, so you should be able to get a new Aftermarket Alarm setup with keyless Entry with the FOBS and all.

Reply to
JBDragon

Hi, Yes your Tahoe came with Keyless entry from the Factory. As the other poster suggested, the Alarm most likely crapped out, and was somehow bypassed-shut off.

Tough to say what type of alarm, but there will most likely be remnants of it under the hood (Siren possibly), and under the dash, and will no doubt make use of a stock Keyless Entry controller impossible, until this system is completely removed from the truck. They no doubt spliced into wiring that controls the Door Locks, etc. Look for little black boxes near the base of the Steering Columm-under the Dash, with names like Clifford-Avital-Viper-etc will be a sure clue.

Best-cheapest option is probably going to a good Alarm dealer-installer, have them remove whatever's left of the old alarm, and install a new entry level priced Alarm, with its own Keyless Entry Fob.

The Chevy Dealer would no doubt take you to the cleaners $$$$$$.

As for the Windshield Wipers: Before spending any money, use the proper Torx-Head Bit with Screwdriver, and remove the Black Wiper Control Box Cover on the Driver's side of the Firewall. Clean down the entire Board with Contact Cleaner, if grease is laying all over inside, and on a couple of round Metal Discs, re-distribute that grease onto the Worm Gear visible. Do the best visually inspecting the Board. The usual culprit was the Plug, and solder connections that went to the Board Just leave a very light thin coat on the Metal Discs. Re-assemble, and give it a try.

I myself was beginning to get the same erratic problems on my '97 Tahoe a couple of years ago, and luckily this simple fix-maintainence cured the problem for me.

If that doesn't solve the problem, you'll need the new Board from Chevy and do a swap out. Yes, at one time I believe there was a safety recall, but I believe the free replacement through GM is long gone. Hope this helps. Mark

Reply to
M D

well i looked and its not all hacked up as far as i can see... the red led was cut and i can see where there was a ground attached with a eye terminal thing, and where they had to splice into the wire that goin up to the ignition and whatnot they used them plastic clip connector things that pierce the wire when they clamp down so there was no cutting of the wires and i did not find any alarm or anything as for the boxs i will have to double check when my neighbor brings it home this afternoon..(he's borrowing it to go pick up a new project ford) (ford yuck) And yes its loaded all power everything... i really dont need an alrm just the keyless entry would be nice.. i dont know ive never owned anything this new before, ive always owned 80's chevy trucks and still do...put it this way ive never owned a car or truck that was new enough to have a computer in it.....

Reply to
bassfishin911

I would look in your glove box for the RPO list. That will tell you if you have Remote entry Lock Control. I bought a used 2000 Silverado, and bought the Key fobs from the dealer. (Pricy). You may find them on eBay. But I would check the RPO's first.

Reply to
Bill