99 Altima Lock Gremlin & Smart Entrance Unit

Hi All,

My power lock problem that was causing all locks to lock when I started the car is back. This time either locks all the doors whenever I unlock the passenger front door, or (only) while that door is unlocked, it will often lock all doors if there's a change in load on the electrical system, for example if I turn on the headlights, rear defrost, blower, etc. It also at times will randomly lock all doors.

If I disconnect the passenger door lock actuator/sensor, it behaves itself. I have tested the lock position sensor (built into the actuator as far as I can tell) and it's working properly.

I grounded the 12v line back to the smart entrance unit, which normally indicates the door has been unlocked, and all of the doors locked. This would seem to be what's happening when the doors lock when I unlock the passenger door.

I then un-grounded that same line after having unlocked the doors manually, and all of the doors locked again, which is normal.

I tested the door lock sensor ground, and the ground to the smart entrance unit; and measured no resistance between them or between either one and another good ground. And the 12v power supply to the smart entrance unit looks good.

To me it sounds like the smart entrance unit is misinterpreting an unlock signal at the passenger door.

What's involved in replacing this unit? Is the factory alarm controlled by it as well? If so, aside from assigning my keyfobs to the new unit are there any gotchas I should look out for?

Thanks in advance...

Reply to
JM

It's fixed, I replaced the Smart Entrance unit and it works fine now. Just had to program my keyfobs into the new box and that was it!

Reply to
JM