emergency brake

'93 Pathfinder Today I was parked on a bit of a slope. I got into the truck to start as by habit - put it in neutral (manual trans.). The truck started to roll back a bit so I pulled up more on the emergency brake. Well I pulled too hard! It sounded like something broke. Almost sounded like a plastic piece breaking at the base of the brake handle. Whatever it was, I have no more emergency brake. The handle just moves up & down freely now. It doesn't do anything. Any ideas? Thanks, Keith

Reply to
keith

Look underneath and see if the cable is hanging down.

Reply to
JimV

I looked. No cable hanging that I can see. Thanks, Keith

Reply to
keith

It sounds like you broke the rachet device in the mechanism, which will thus require replacement, which involves considerable disassembly if I'm not mistaking.

Willy

Reply to
Willy

Thanks Willy,