Help with "door open" warning light (94 Pathfinder)

I'd appreciate your suggestions on what might be the cause of a bothersome electrical problem we have on our 1994 Pathfinder.

When we drive, the "door open" dashboard light stays on, though it sometimes goes out or flickers on/off when we go over a bump.

When we turn the motor off, the dashboard light goes off, but the courtesy lights at the driver's and passenger's feet remain on. Obviously I want to fix this, as it could drain my battery if those lights stay on long enough.

The footwell lights are brightest when I open a door. When I manually press in one of the five door switches, the footwell lights dim a bit, but they remain on.

Do you know specifically where the door switch relay is located? I found an electrical schematic, but it didn't show relays.

Help! Any suggestions are welcomed.

Reply to
Al

it sounds like one of your door switches is either loose or it could be defective. check one door at a time to find which one it is. they are located on the bottom of the door frame. worse case you might have to replace one of them and they are around $20.00 at the dealer. dick

Reply to
D.

Thanks--I'm beginning to think it might be the switch located at the rear door latch. I'm told it is embedded in the latch assembly, and if it is defective I might need to buy the entire assembly.

Ouch!

D. wrote:

Reply to
Al

I removed all five door switches on my '94 Pathfinder, and the "door open" light still stays on--so my problem is apparently not due to a bad door-switch.

One clue: sometimes the "door open" light will go off briefly when I drive over a bump in the road.

Any idea where to check next?

Thanks.

Al wrote:

Reply to
Al

Perhaps a wire for a door switch is wore through and is grounding out where it passes through the door by the hinge side. To check, put all the door switches back in, then open one door at a time, and while holding the switch button in on the door, jiggle the wires and see if the light goes out.

Reply to
Willshak

Remove the latch on the body of the vehicle in the rear (not the latch on the hatch but on the main body). Place one or two flat washers on each bolt under the latch. Reassemble and you should be good.

Reply to
DS