How do you hotwire a car?

I had my car towed home from theft recovery. 91 240sx The thief did not cut any wires. He dug out the place where the key goes. I assume he put a screw driver in and turned. I tried turning it with screw driver but nothing happened. Is there any trick.

Reply to
sloughboy

One would assume .... just depend on how bad the silenoid and the tumblers where damage. All it is a mater of bridging to the starter wire. That suck s dude... I could imagine you could just wire a cheap switch there for the moment...

Reply to
iruka_hoshi

Or you can call a lock smith to replace the lock.

Reply to
clevere

the ignition switch is held on by one small screw. you just have to put a screw driver in and turn the switch. not sure if i will bother fixing lock. locksmith said 79 dollars for kit to replace lock part. dealer say there is no such thing as replacing lock. he will sell the entire assembly for 238 plus 88 for labour.

my ignition fuse was blown so that is why i could get nothing. i only get a click for starter . hope it is just a weak battery.

Reply to
Kitz_murdered_our_gallery

Dealers are full of crap. They only replace the entire unit, when you can service the until and save yourself $150.00+

"Kitz_murdered_our_gallery" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...

Reply to
clevere

had a mechanic replace the starter and everything is good now. The mechanic said that the thief might have blown fuse and kept trying to start car and that burned out the starter. Interestingly, the starter that was in the car had nine teeth and the one they put in had 8 teeth. They said that the old starter was not meshing right. I bought the old starter from canadian tire; a retail store. When I was pricing the old starter, one guy did mention that there were two types and you had to get the right one. Anyway, thanks for your help.

Reply to
Kitz_murdered_our_gallery