Idle Air Control Valve problem

I have a 97 Nissan pickup truck. I recently went to take it to be inspected cause its state law. I have noticed that the check engine light was on but I always thought it was short somewhere because there doesn't seem to be any problems with the truck. When I took the truck to be inspected they told me that the problem was P0505 which I later found out to be problem with the idle air control valve. Is there any way to fix it without spending a fortune at a mechanic? Can it be adjusted or easily replaced? Also could someone possibly tell me where it is located on the throttle body? I bought the repair manual to my truck but that is one thing that they don't show the location of. Anything you can tell me would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
97NissanTruckDave

Sure it can. This is all just a scam so mechanics can screw you. Probably just needs a simple adjustment at zero cost to you. Good luck!

Reply to
Steve T

what is it that needs to be adjusted? probably just the idle right? after i make this "simple adjustment", do i need to reset the computer so the check engine light goes off?

Reply to
97NissanTruckDave

yes, or if it is fixed correctly it will reset itself after 50 start-ups

Reply to
Truckdude

What is the "simple adjustment"? If it is the idle that needs to be adjusted, what does it need to be set to? My truck idles at 1500rpms but i have been told that it is to high and needs to be lowered to 700. If that is the simple adjustment,can someone tell me where the screw is on the throttle body to adjust idle because i can't find it. i have found some books on it but they give a lousy description of where to adjust it.

Reply to
97NissanTruckDave

Reply to
Raiders fan