idling fast and running cold

My 89 Pickup idled very, very fast. I've replaced the manifold gaskets, but engine still idles "fast", and it "seems" to take a long time to warm up.
I've written "fast" because I don't know how fast is fast. But I do have to apply the brake to stop the pick-up from accelerating. I've written "seems" because I'm not sure, but it does take longer than my old GM van used to take to reach normal temp.
Any clues
Thanks
John
.
Is it fuel injected? You might try replacing the coolant temp sensor. It's cheap and easy and might solve the problem if there are no other major mechanical issues. Mine went out on my 90 Maxima when it wouldn't warm up, fans wouldn't shut off and was running kind of rich. Chris 90 & 94 GXE's
Try replacing the thermostat. It's a cheap and easy replacement and a bad thermostat could account for the slow warm up.