Infiniti G35 Sedan: Breaking In Engine Questions

I'm still within my first 1200 miles so I still have to break in the engine. there are a couple of questions I have surrounding this:

- The user manual says don't start the car right away. I think this means to let the car warm up a bit before engaging drive. But how long is enough? The sales lady says five seconds, but the idle is still high after five seconds. Should it be longer or is she right? - Manual also says don't use cruise control. The sales lady did a poor job of explaining exactly why this is. Can anyone here explain this? - Lastly, manual also says keep RPM under 4000. Does this mean all the time, or only on a sustained basis? Reason being, I have gone over 4000 a few times, to pass people and whatnot, but never on a sustained basis. Is it OK that I've done this?

Thanks for your help.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Hildebrandt

At 1200 miles, your engine is broken in enough. What is probably most important for the break in is heat cycles -- get the motor gradually up to regular running temperature, then let it cool off. I try to think of it as my own body -- you don't get out of bed and sprint full speed 100 yards to the coffee machine, do you? So, during the break in period, you want to lay off the full throttle conditions at all times, and you should also avoid steady state speed, such as what you would experience with cruise control. Now that you're past 1,000 miles, you can let the motor run up in the rev range as long as it is fully warm. Also, there is nothing wrong with driving the car immediately after starting it, but use light throttle for the first mile or so.

Reply to
ppointer

I drive ALL MY NISSANS like I want them to perform daily. Let any car warm for at least 30 seconds. Then just drive as usual I have even hit redline more than once with less than 1000 miles on my Frontier. Just do not hold it there. This teaches the ECU how to work and will promote better performance. NOW, Remember, do not do this on a regular basis, Just use common sense.

OH, I also have a 240SX which has a silvia front and setup for show AND track. Have owned and tuned NISSANs for MANY years. Since the 240z and 510 sedan.

This has always worked for me.. Just a little info..

Good Luck... ZAutoTech.

Reply to
ZTech