Installing rear shocks on a truck

Could someone tell me how easy it is to install rear shocks on a 86.5 Nissan 4x2 truck (solid axle). It looks pretty easy, but I'm told that new shocks come strapped in the compressed position and that I have to cut the straps and quickly mount it before it fully extends. How easy is it to do that, if needed? Once the shocks are fully extended, how easy is it to compress by hand (for both mono and twin tubes)?

Anyone also have any recommendations on shocks. I currently have KYB GR-2, but one of them leaked. I didn't really like the shocks too much even when they were new.

- Dave

Reply to
Dave

You were told wrong. When you cut the strap, the shock will extend almost immediately. Mounting it before it fully extends will be close to the epitomy of speed. If the body of the truck is raised high enough, you can install the shocks while they're fully extended.. Compressing them by hand is difficult but can be done. You'll have to put it against the ground and put all your weight on it.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Just mount the top to the frame, then cut the strap and slip the bottom on as it extends. If you "miss" the bottom mount, it's not really *that* hard as you can lay on the ground and push it back up into place - you've got lots of leverage in that position. This is how I've installed gas shocks on several old cars and unless the Nissan is somehow different you shouldn't have a problem. Also if you put your jackstands under the frame not the axle the axle will be at full droop making life easier for you.

good luck

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Try the obvious solution: Increase the atmospheric pressure to

150-350 PSI to match the pressure of the nitrogen gas inside the shock.

You can usually wedge the extended shock back with a crowbar, but if you get in a real pickle, find a big ol' screw hose clamp, cut its band, and fold over each end of the band into a hook to hold the loops of the plastic straps.

Reply to
Norm De Plume

Another option if you're really careful is to use a jack to push the shock back into a compressed position, after mounting the top as Nate suggested. Just make sure that if/when the shock slips off the jack, the impact point isn't going to be part of your (or anyone else's) body.

Reply to
Kevin T. Broderick

maybe it's just me, but even nitro charged shocks aren't all that difficult to compress by hand.

Reply to
MudPuppy1976

T'aint just you... I changed the rear shocks on my 2000 Frontier last week on my lunch break...Driving three miles to pick them up, three miles back to work, changed the shocks, still had 15 minutes to eat lunch...Piece of cake...(the shock change-not my lunch)

Jeff

"MudPuppy1976

Reply to
jeff

Approximately 9/24/03 21:10, MudPuppy1976 maybe it's just me, but even nitro charged shocks aren't all that

Its just you. >:-) For the non-gorilla, if you screw up, it is possible to *carefully* use the weight of the car to compress them again if you can get a block of wood in there somewhere and let the jack down *carefully* then wire it and next time RTFM.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

|Approximately 9/24/03 21:10, MudPuppy1976 maybe it's just me, but even nitro charged shocks aren't all that |> difficult to compress by hand. | | Its just you. >:-) For the non-gorilla, if you screw up, | it is possible to *carefully* use the weight of the car | to compress them again if you can get a block of wood | in there somewhere and let the jack down *carefully* | then wire it and next time RTFM. |

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

mmmmmmmmmmm, cake

Reply to
MudPuppy1976

Just realized that I didn't thank ya'll for the replies. Turned out the install was pretty easy since the shocks were low-pressure.

Thanks,

- Dave

Reply to
Dave