knock sensor

I was wondering how hard it would be to change the knock sensor in my

03 nissan extera. Maybe I could get a diagram somewhere. Thanks.
Reply to
topsysmoke1

i had mine replaced recently in my 01 frontier and it cost over $500.00 . the part is approx. $150.00 and the rest is labor . all i can tell you is that it's not an easy job . i know a dealer would charge even more . i had mine done at a friends shop . good luck , D.

Reply to
D.

On most of the Nissan engines they are buried under the intake manifold and very difficult to access. Why do you need to change it? About the only symptom of a bad one is the gas mileage will be the same with either regular or premium.

If you discovered a knock sensor code because the SES light came on, its a red herring. The knock sensor does not turn on the light. Keep looking, there will be another more serious code that caused the light to come on. Ignore the knock sensor until you fix the real problem.

Reply to
E Meyer

In my experience, when the ECU detected a problem with the knock sensor, there was a noticeable drop in performance and a hesitation that went away when I replaced the sensor. This was on a 1994 Altima. I think the ECU probably retards the timing a fair bit when the sensor fails since it can't tell if there is any spark knock or not.

Reply to
JM