Knock Sensor and EGR Valve fix

Hello,

I have a 1998 Nissan Altima. The Service Engine Light is on. I got it checked and was told that 2 codes showed up. One is for a knock sensor and the other is for a EGR Valve. How can I replace the knock sensor myself? What tools would be necessary for the replace this sensor and to clean or repair the EGR valve? Would it be much easier to have a mechanic do the job? If so how would be average labor charge for this job?

Thanks any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
eletro

And remember, the diagnostic code does not always point to the component that is malfunctioning, it usually refers to the "system".

So merely replacing the EGR valve might not fix it, but gaining knowledge of the EGR system and its components and how the code is set is worth so much more. It could be something as simple as a cracked vacuum hose or one of 3 other components misreporting it's info the the ECM.

Your job Mr.Phelps is to find out which one...

This message will self destruct in 5 seconds.....

Reply to
NissTech