More on Sentra suspension clunking

Since my first posting on this subject, I have pulled the struts out, disassembled and inspected them. The top bearings seemed to have a little play,
but everything else looked okay. I put in new bearings (they only cost $6 each) and reinstalled the struts. Suspension still clunking.
I ran an autocross Sunday, and now there is even more clunking. Only now it is more frequent, and like creaking instead of clunking, on braking and acceleration. One of the Sentra guys at the autocross suggested replacing the lower control arms -- his old Sentra SER made a lot of noise until he replaced them. I checked and Mossy Nissan has them in stock for $142 each. These include the rubber bushings and a new ball joint. Lacking any other ideas, I think that I will replace the control arms this weekend and see if that helps.
Bill in San Diego 98 Sentra SE 2.0
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (WillemBop) wrote in message

Sentra
occurs
when
but
struts,
again
is
side,
struts
Bill, Check ALL your suspension bushings...front AND rear. Also check your tension control rods if you have them. I had this same clunking type noise problem on my Nissan, (a 240SX) everytime I braked or went over rough roads - my rear end would clunk like crazy. It turns out the rear subframe bushings were shot. I ended up fixing the problem by putting in some rear subframe spacers from Specialty Z which compressed the shot bushings & fixed the problem. http://www.specialtyz.com/subspacers.htm Diego
WillemBop wrote:

Site Timeline