Nissan - Belt Replacement - Difficult or Easy ?

My Nissan 240SX started making rattling noise since the last couple of months. Based on the answer posted from one of you smart guys - I did some investigation.

Noise seems to be coming near the ENGINE/BELTS.

What kind of problems can we expect with the belts. 1 or 2 Belts that were easily accesible on the top were taught and no visible damage.

How to determine if the problem is with the belts ? Are they very expensive to replace ?

Thanks for the guidance I have been getting from you all ...

Reply to
Rath.Yelandur

Look for cracking on the inner ribs of the belts. If the belts are original, they are due to be changed anyway, just change them. If the cause of the rattle was the belts, it will go away. If not, you haven't done anything that didn't need to be done anyway.

Its not hard to change them, but you have to do it from underneath.

When the belts are off, check the various pulleys & the fan for play that would indicate bearings going out.

To verify that it is not the timing chain, use the rubber hose - the sound will be loudest toward the front of the valve cover if it is the chain.

Reply to
E. Meyer