nissan fuel injector cleaning question

Hi, I have a 2002 Altima that just had it's 60,000 mile service. The mechanic recommended cleaning the fuel injectors as preventive maintenance since Nissans have, in his words, "notorious problems with injectors getting dirty leading to costly repairs." I held off on it since I didn't feel like spending the extra $148 that was his fee "MotorVac" injector cleaning until I had a chance to look into this a bit. I'm looking for opinions on if I should go ahead and have this done soon. thanks, Tom

Reply to
Wallace

Yes, go ahead and have it done, except for bringing it back to the shop. Buy a can of injector cleaner and dump it in the gas tank. I went to

50,000 miles before I did it and although I didn't have any problems before 50k, I didn't have any after either.
Reply to
Willshak

AS cried out

i occasionally buy a bottle of complete system cleaner and dump it in my full tank. My 91 runs perfect even with 223,000 miles, gotta love the 1.6

Reply to
Rosco

Get a new mechanic because yours is either a hack (it's common for hacks to suggest injector cleaning and tune-ups as cure alls) , or a crook who wants to pay off his Motorvac machine. Injectors made that recently don't clog nearly as much as those from the 1980s or even early 1990s, and gasoline has better additive packages than it used to, thanks to EPA and auto maker requirements. Injector flushing can actually cause damage by dissolving insulation from the gasoline-cooled solonoid coils, so it shouldn't be done unless the injectors are known to be clogged and suspected to be in need of replacement anyway. Just use a bottle of Techron about every 10,000 - 15,000 miles. It'll not only keep injectors clean -- safely, but also remove carbon from intake valves and combustion chambers. It's also sold as Chevron Pro Guard Clean Up, not to be confused with Stay Clean or Fuel Injector Cleaner, which are more dilute.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

I've just replaced the seals on my 150K mile '91 200SX turbo S13 CA18DET. One 'O' ring had started leaking because one injector was rotated to get access through nest of wiring to a hose clamp when a water hose split. Looking though the hole in the plastic cap, the injector nozzles were bright and clean. The plastic caps had a light coating of carbon on them that cleaned up with one go round with a paper towel soaked in jizer (gunk or paraffin will do).

It's had a few doses of "injector cleaner" over the last 6 years, usually Wynns or STP. But it's mainly down to the additives in modern fuels. The last 6 years it's been run on supermarket 95RON unleaded petrol (92PON/AKI gasoline?). It's had 2 fuel filter changes.

I've had problems with the fuel pump power supply due to an after market alarm immobiliser circuit rated at 2amps on a fuel pump circuit that draws 5amps. In the process of finding this I had the pump out. The tank was bright and shiny with no trace of sediment or contamination, the only muck was in the filter sock on the pump which was washed out and put back into service.

Peter Hill