NissTech help: Rusty hinges on rear gate

The hinges to the rear door on our '93 Pathfinder are rusty and causing the door to move stiffly. I had intended to buy new hinges, but on closer inspection, it appears that the hinges come in one piece with the entire swing-gate that snaps in place behind the rear door.

Is there a way I can replace just these two hinges, and not the entire gate assembly?

If so how would I rehab the hinges? Rust is visible in the recessed areas where the bolts are, but it's possible that the hinge-pins are a bit corroded as well.

-Al

Reply to
Al Cunniff

AFAIK, the hinges are not sold separately.

Your best bet is to get some rust penetrating oil and soak down the hinges.

At the shop we use a product called P B blaster

you can go here to check it out

This is the best rust penetrating oil I have ever seen and used in my entire career, I know that is a strong statement but I believe in it and it works

Reply to
NissTech

I used to recommend PB Blaster, it's pretty good stuff. I bought a can of Seafoam Deep Creep last time though, and it's surprisingly more effective.

NAPA usually carries it, check it out sometime.

Reply to
Pronto Breakneck

I've used PB for years. I share your statement.

Reply to
Mind Melt

Hey MM,

have you tried the Styrofoam cup trick and the steel wool test with this stuff.

absolutely amazing stuff

Reply to
NissTech

Tell me more?

BTW, Are there any quick/cheap solutions to a A.T. that won't shift into

3rd/4th when the engine has warmed up? It's a '91 Nissan Sentra GXE. Also would a tranny from a '90 fit it? Thanks !!!

Norm

Norm ____________ snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca

Reply to
FatherGuido

I've used PB too and seen it do some wonderful stuff. I had two strut bolts that I could not break loose. (The big boys at the bottom). I applied some PB, let it sit for ten minutes, and they broke free. And no, it wasn't just me resting in between that did it, I was actually working on breaking the other two free.

What's the cup trick ?

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

take some PB Blaster and spray it into a Styrofoam cup and see what happens

Reply to
NissTech

Reply to
NissTech

Thanks Niss!

Norm ____________ snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca

Reply to
FatherGuido

Never have done that, what does it test ?

Reply to
Mind Melt