pickup tire pressure

Hi, I just bought new tires on larger rims for my `87 King Cab. The stock tires where P195/75/R14 and the tire pressure on the sticker by the doorframe was 26 PSI (for those tires).
The new tires/wheels are P215/75/R15, but I don't know what the correct tire pressure should be. The guy at the tire dealer said just to keep them inflated at 35 PSI, which is the maximum pressure for those tires, so I'm pretty sure he has no idea what he's talking about. That is *definitely* over-inflated!
I know from my factory manual that the 4X4 version of the truck was available with this size tire (mine's just RWD). Would someone be able to check on their truck and see what the correct pressures are for 215/75/R15 tires?
Thanks for any help!
<El Kabong> wrote in message

What's it say on the sidewall of the tires?

It says 35 PSI, but almost *all* tires say that. That's the MAXIMUM inflation pressure for the tire, without reference to the vehicle. It's a WARNING, not a RECOMMENDATION.
My old 14" tires said the same, 35 PSI, but the sticker on the truck says the 14" tires need to be 26 PSI, generally. Big difference. 35 PSI is definitely over-inflated.
What I need to know is what the correct inflation pressure is for P215/75/R15 tires on a King Cab.
Thanks
it depends... are you hauling heavy loads if so then 35psi is not over inflated
hell on my f250 it says inflate to 80psi i have them at 60
of cource the f250 is for heavy loads.... however its really user based
i would go with 30psi just because thats what i kept all my cars at actually more like 32 - 33
ken <El Kabong> wrote in message

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 08:05:49 GMT, (El Kabong) wrote:

Yes, 35 psi is the maximum rating, but you want that if you were carrying a half ton. I agree that 26 psi is too low, and I wore out the P215/75R14 General factory tires in 15K miles going by the placard 'recommended pressure'. I think the low psi recommendation is for a smoother ride more than anything else.
I also have a Kingcab V6 2WD and now run 34 front, and 30 rear (unloaded) on P225/60R16 tires. If you have a 4 cyl, then maybe 32/30 F/R would be a starting point. Correct pressure depends on the tires, but generally too much pressure wears out the tread in the center first, and too low wears off the edges too fast. Also with too low of a pressure, the tire loses the ability to shed heat efficiently, which leads to shorter tread life and could be dangerous.
On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 08:05:49 GMT, (El Kabong),wrote:

30 PSI is as good of a guess as any you'll get. And that's all you'll get is a guess. Try 30 and watch for abnormal tire wear very closely.
On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 07:24:57 -0400, "Meat-->Plow"

Huh? Guessing is definitely not necessary. Frankly, I'm a little surprised that nobody has come up with the answer yet. Does that mean everyone is driving around on incorrectly inflated tires? I'm beginning to wonder.
According to my factory service manual, in 1987 Nissan sold the 4x4 regular and King Cab trucks, as well as the Pathfinder in E and XE trim with P215/75R15 tires as standard.
Therefore, each of these vehicles would have a plate on the driver's side door pillar, or a sticker in the glove box stating SPECIFICALLY what the inflation pressure is for THAT tire on THAT vehicle. No guessing involved.
I assume this would apply to later years for trucks with same size tire, as well.
Thanks in advance to anyone who posts this information!
On Sat, 01 May 2004 19:29:15 GMT, (El Kabong) wrote:

OK, so what's the right answer?

As stated before, 26 psi didn't work for me as per center console sticker.

Site Timeline