Problems installing new stereo

I installed a new stereo in my 93 nissan pickup and I don't know how to get power to it, it doesn't have the two prong power cable slot like the stock radio does. Is there some sort of adapter or will I have to do something else?

Reply to
Squirr3llyWrath9

First off tell us what you are taking about. Did you buy a real stereo, I mean nothing that is at walmart or other fleamarket stores. You have a name brand stereo, ALA alpine, kenweed JVC, pioneer, panasonic blaupunct sony clarion etc? They all adhere to the standard wiring colors. Did you buy a metra 70-1783 wire harness adapter? Its a MUST. Did you think an aftermarket stereo that is designed to fit about every make and model of vehicle will just plug in to your truck? Car companies don't have enough smarts to make radio plugs stardard industry wide and neither do stereo companies. SO you spend the extra $10 for that harness. NOW here is the HARD part. You must wire the stereo harness and the adapter harness togethr. I'm sure by looking at it you're all befuddled now. But here is a tip. Connect the wires color for color. You may need an antenna adapter too. I believe the 93 nissan truck has a std motorola ant plug. but if not, you'll need an adapter for that too. You can bolt the new stereo on to the OE brackets though.

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@m34g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
I'm Right

The radio should have come with the cable connector that plugs into it, prewired on the connector end. You should also have gotten a wiring diagram of which wire is which going into the radio. Power and ground are in that bundle somewhere. If you didn't get that, you're pretty much screwed.

There are adapters for most cars and trucks that provide the opposite end of it - prewired cable connector(s) to the factory harness(es). You have to match the wires coming out of these to the one coming out of the radio.

Go back to the stereo shop where you got the radio and see if they have the adapter(s) you need. Most of them do. If not, check at crutchfield.com If they don't have it listed, call them.

One piece of advice (learned the hard way on a Nissan of this vintage). You will almost certainly have no place to hook up the wire from the dash dimmer that ran to the factory radio. Make sure it is taped off. If it touches anything, your tail light fuse will blow.

Reply to
E Meyer

Reply to
N.H.L ---> KSU '11