Question about my '97 Sentra, please help...

Hello,

I have recently invested in a 1997 Nissan Sentra (automatic) with a four cylindar engine. It passed emissions with no trouble and the only repair I have had to make so far was a radiator flush. However, I have trouble with the steering and I was hoping that if I explained it someone could help me at least learn more about it. Where I live, it is in ones best interest to learn about your car prior to taking it to the mechanic-and since this is my first car I am trying to do that by posting to this group. Here is my trouble. Just today, I have had difficulty making turns in my car- more so on with regards to right turns than left. When I make a turn, the steering wheel feels very loose- it is like the whole car gets this loose sensation when I try to make a turn. Does anyone think this could be the CV joints? I bought this car with over 80000 miles on it and I unfortunately have no history on it. Or, could this be an axel issue? I am just trying to look for some advice because I honestly do not know what is wrong and I am still in the process of learning about cars.

I thank you,

Mary

Reply to
mary

CV Joints (when worn or damaged) normally make a clunking noise when applying power on sharp turns. You describe a looseness or sloppy steering. I would recommend that you start by inspecting the tie-rod ends. These are the joints that connect the steering rack to the wheel knuckles. When worn, they will introduce a lot of "play" in the steering. They are easy to check.

Telstar Electronics