Re: Difference between fuel pres reg and fuel pump symptoms?

I'm having some trouble with the nissan altima lately, it take 3-5

> attempts to start, it just turns over most times and then finally > fires. While its running it seems normal, my mielage even seems a lot > better if you can believe it. I've done the whole tune up thing, and > I'm left with the fuel system components, with the pressure regulator > being the most likely. Any opinons on what it likely to be, or any > tests that can be done withoout the gauges??

This sounds like a similar problem I had with a 1999 or 2000 Saturn. Some fuel pumps had a "drain back" problem. Basically fuel pump lost prime in the line.

The test for this was to turn the ignitiuon key to the ON position (but do not try to start). Wait 10 seconds, then go to the start position. If the engine started right up, the problem was the fuek pump check valve. These units were fixed under a TSB.

Worth a try, no?

Good luck,

Paul

Reply to