Re: Failed Smog, Need Advice

This morning my '91 sentra SER (well maintained 140K miles) failed its CA

> (test only) smog test. I had just previously put in new NGK (i.e. factory) > plugs, a new air filter and changed the oil. I had also retarded the timing > to the maximum legally allowable. Any ideas on what I look at next? I think > the O2 sensor is probably okay, because I replaced it only 2 1/2 years ago > (and also the smog tech said the test results suggested it was okay). > > I failed on HC's at both 15 and 25 MPH (very marginally at the higher speed) > and on NO at the lower speed only. Am I looking at a new Catalytic converter > do you think? > > Thanks for any ideas. > > Dan >

My '90 Sentra failed the local emissions test one year. Per the mechanic who tested it, I:

  1. Changed oil & filter (Fram + Castrol Syntec Blend, but I'd use Mobil 1 now)
  2. Changed plugs (NGC)
  3. Changed fuel filter (Fram)
  4. Changed PCV valve
  5. Changed air filter (Fram)
  6. Week before I planned to test it, I put in Gumout Xtra Fuel Injector cleaner before I filled the tank, drove the tank down to E, then filled up again before the test.

Since then, the car ran great, and I did this every year before the inspection. Never failed the emissions test again!!!

Good luck!!

~Bhuvan

Reply to
Bhuvan

To add to your list, I'd clean the throttle body, PCV, and ERG system with intake/carb cleaner if you haven't done it yet. Specifically the small metal vacuum tube that controls the EGR valve. It gets clogged with carbon at the bottom near the manifold and restricts the vacuum flow. Spray the cleaner into the tube (make sure the engine isn't hot!), let it soak a bit and use a solid core wire of about 10 gauge to ream the tube out around the bend, or take it off to clean if you can, but it's a lot more work.

And try Chevron premium fuel too.

Reply to
Monte