Failed!

Once again my 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited failed it's annual emission test (in spite of me staying up all night studying!)

As usual, The HC reading was low, the CO reading was low, the Catalytic passed, the PCV system passed so what failed?

As usual, the @#$^%&^*#%@ GAS CAP!

Am I going to have to buy a new gas cap every year? What's up with that?

Anyone know of a long lasting gas cap? WTF makes 'em go bad?

Gas caps are fairly cheap but the drive to an emissions station plus the long wait in line are not cheap or enjoyable, one a year is MORE than enough and now I have to do it again.....

Reply to
XS11E

I think road dust kills them or the machine's parameters are wrong. I go to legit places for emissions and have seen most of them with their 'own' gas cap permanently hooked to that machine line for some reason.

If an inspector showed up, there would be trouble 'if' that was a problem because inspectors do show up and it is widespread from what I have seen.

Other than that, just buy the cheapies.

Mike

Mike Romain

Don't use aftermarket caps, they all leak. OEM is worth the price. It's the seals that go. Thing is I don't know if they still have the same version or not. :/ Guess you could always keep a spare for use when they do th eemissions test. :)

Reply to
DougW

I keep my new gas cap in the garage to use every two years:

They're just like your wiperblades. My Bronco's last inspection:
What are your specs? Always get the car up to full operating temperature, at least twentyminutes at traffic speed, to enable the catalytic converter to maintainsixteen hundred degrees to completely reburn all your stuff. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

We have state emission stations, they don't fudge because they have no reason to do so. They don't do repairs, sell parts, etc. and are not allowed to recommend anyone who does.

The public are not the customers, the state is.

That keeps 'em honest and eliminates public protest.

Reply to
XS11E

XS11E proclaimed:

Does your state test the gas cap on the vehicle or do they take the cap off and put it on a test rig?

The question is whether your fuel inlet piping might be leaking and causing a failure or if it is just the cheap crap used for caps.

The gasket on mine resembles a hard piece of plastic more than a useful gasket that might actually form a good pressure seal like a soft artificial rubber might. Tiniest amount of anything on it and it will fail. Wonder what the markup is on new caps?

Reply to
Lon

It's off, on a test rig.

Inlet pipe can't be leaking, that's tested also.

Don't know. I'll get a new one tomorrow and take the old one apart if possible to see what's gone bad. Last year, I was able to actually blow backwards through the cap so I know it was bad, the new cap wouldn't allow any thing through so it was good then and died in almost exactly 12 months. That doesn't seem right, somehow.

Reply to
XS11E

Got new cap, ran through test again, passed fine.

I did take the old cap apart, it wasn't hard to do. The little neoprene seal button (I don't know what to call it?) was loaded with lint, grit, etc. I guess it sucked all that in when letting air in to the tank as it emptied? Maybe some kind of a filter thingy around the cap would help or maybe I'll just have to buy a cap every year?

Problem is that the 1993 cap was good until 2006 but I don't know when they started testing caps, may have been just a year or so back???

Reply to
XS11E

They used to do emissions around here, but gave up on those and vehicle inspections. :/ You should see some of the turdmobiles running around.

As to your cap. Yep, just clean the crud out of it and it should be fine. The cap is doing what it should, letting some air in as the tank empties yet sealing and making any excess pressure go into the engine (or the evaporative canister when the engine is off). Over time the rubber gets less flexible.

I'd keep the new cap in a baggie for the next emissions test.

The problem with some aftermarket locking type caps is they seal too well and will cause enough vac in the tank to affect fuel pressure.

Reply to
DougW

Errr.... read the above carefully! Note where I said, "I did take the old cap apart"? Note where I said, "I put the old cap back together"? Can't find that, can you?

The spring sproings parts out faster than these arthritic hands can grab them! I did get it back together but I'm not sure it's right and it still won't hold pressure so it's still got crud in it or it's mis- assembled or it's being DELIBERATELY ANNOYING!

Probably all three. Next year, I'll buy a new cap, put it on for the test and then switch when I leave the emission station but you don't know how bad I feel knowing I'd be allowing gasoline vapor into the atmosphere and hastening the destruction of Life, the Universe and Everything by .03 msec.....

Reply to
XS11E

Put the old cap back on, and put the new cap away until next year.

Reply to
El Maximo