Re: Help: Pathfinder has problem starting

Don't forget to check the interlock switch at the clutch pedal (if you hav

a manual transmission)

wrote in messag

news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...> On 6 May 2006 08:59:27 -0700, "Al" graced this newsgroup with

>>Our 1994 Pathfinder has developed an intermittent starting proble >>that has gotten worse over the past few weeks > >>When you turn the key to start the vehicle, sometimes it won' >>start--no clicking, no sound, just lights on the dashboar >>(oil, check engine, etc.) > >>If you try a few times it eventually starts, but it has been gettin >>worse. Today it took about 20x > >>-Probably a starter going bad >>-Or if it's the ignition switch, I assume there's no way to mak >> a definitive test when the problem is not occuring > >>Thanks in advance for any ideas on how to narrow this down > check the simple things first. Battery charge, battery terminals etc > If you have some buildup on the terminals you could get intermitten > voltage. If you have a loose connection at the starter, you coul > also have the same symptoms > However, if none of those prove to be the problem, I'd suspect a ba > or faulty ignition key switch

I have to agree as well with DS. also its very possible that theres a build up of whitesh powdery stuff on there you don"t whant that on there because believe it or not that actually acts as drainage for a battery. and often times it cant make a good connection because so. get yourself a "battery post cleaner" theres 2 types on the market. get the one thats one hole peice that unscrews into 2 parts that way you can use the one side to clean your battery posts & the other side to clean the cable terminals. after your done place a thin coating of grease on the battery terminals and posts & tighten them down. also other things come to mind like a starter moter, or a starter solenode, ignition key switch? dont think so. her dash lights come on when cranking if the ignition key switch was bad you would have no lights or power to the dash. this problem is definately electrical i would start first at the battery

Reply to
johnin