Re: OT Cheney - Cutting Gas Tax Stupid

Where do you come up with that idea? SS funds, by law from day one, have

>always been held in US government bonds, there are no SS funds

I don't know why I even bother answering your incoherent, half comments.

There certainly are SS funds. Yes they are invested in government bonds which is how the government funds things it can't afford like the war in Iraq.

Do you mean to imply that the government bonds are not secure? That may ultimately prove to be the case if the Republicans keep running things.

>>Want to reduce taxes? Start by eliminating some of the entitlement >>>programs. >> >> Right now, Social Security is bringing in more money than it is paying >> out. The surplus is being used to pay for (among other things) the >> war on Iraq. If we stopped collecting social security tomorrow, we >> would either have to borrow more money on the open market (aka the >> Chinese) or raise other taxes to cover the shortfall. Medicare is >> also funded by a separate tax. >> >> I don't know how old you are or what your financial situation is. >> However, if you are lucky you will someday reach the age of 65. Maybe >> you will have enough money that you won't need Social Security. But I >> doubt you would be able to afford private health insurance, even if >> you could get it. >> >> If you have at lest $10 million in the bank to self insure, your >> position on this issue is rational. Selfish but rational. If you are >> of more modest means, you have been drinking the neocon Koolaid. Wake >> up. >>
Reply to
Gordon McGrew

I don't think he understands the other half of the equation i.s. where the money goes when some entity buys a gov't bond/bill.

Reply to
still just me