Rear suspension help needed

A few weeks ago I started noticing a weird noise coming from the rear of the car. Since then I've noticed the it happensm ostly when I'm turning left (ie. the car's weight has transfered to the right side). I've since taken my rear wheels off to see what was wrong.

  1. I noticed the boots (whatever they're called) are torn on both rear struts.

  1. The struts seem to be pretty clean when I look at the part that the boot is supposed to be covering.

  2. I noticed a small bearing/bushing on the passenger side of the car, which isn't there on the driver's side. What is this part, and could it be the culprit?

Thanks guys.

Reply to
Sarky

Car = 95 Maxima SE.

Reply to
Sarky

Weird noise from the rear is not enough info to say anything intelligent, but I'll make a suggestion.

I had a '96 I30 (uses the same suspension as the Max) that sounded like there was an empty oil drum in the trunk every time you hit a bump. The problem turned out to be not in the rear at all, but rather was being transmitted along the frame from the the front. One of the front upper strut mounts had failed. Its easy to check - open the hood, grab the wheel well directly below the strut tower and pull it up and down. If the big nut recessed in the middle at the top of the strut tower moves at all, its bad.

Reply to
E. Meyer

The wheel well? You mean the splash guard all around the tire?

Reply to
Sarky

No. I mean get hold of the car at a convenient point where you can still see the upper strut nut and bounce that corner of the car up and down to see if there is movement in the upper strut mount. It was simply convenient for me to grab the edge of the fender at the top of the wheel well to do it.

If the mount completely blows out, it will sound like somebody is taking a sledge hammer to the frame at every bump. The weird noises start happening as it starts to tear loose. The piece in question is a rubber doughnut with the mounting point for the top of the strut in the middle of it. The rubber is bonded to the metal plate that is bolted to the top of the tower. What happens is the rubber tears loose from the plate.

Reply to
E. Meyer