Regular aircon recharge?

According to a DIY manual I bought for my Nissan Primera air conditioning systems leak over time no matter how well sealed they are so recharging the AC system should be seen as regular maintenance like changing the oil or breakpads. As I am new to aircon is this true? How can I tell if my aircon needs recharging? It is working but a freind was in the car recently and she said it wasn't working as well as her new car does (my Primera is a 1998 with 40K on the clock). It was stored for about 2 years but the seller assured me it had been started and run for 10 mins a month as per the instructions for the aircon in the owners handbook.

BTW - Why are you supposed to run the aircon for at least 10 mins a month? Why is this good for the lubrication?

I notice when I turn the aircon on there is a very slight squeaking sound - is this a cause for concern?

Thanks for any info.

Regards,

John Smith.

Reply to
John Smith

  1. Air conditioning does not need routine service. My 1988 Dodge Dakota went 15 years on the factory charge and probably still works fine for the new owner. If you need recharged, it has a leak that should be repaired.
  2. Your air conditioning compressor runs periodically to remove moisture from the cabin air even in the winter. You do not need to run it manually.
  3. You can tell if you need air conditioning service if it does not cool your cabin down. Even the slightest amount of lost cooling capacity can result in inadequate cold air and cabin cool down.
  4. The squeak could be an improperly tightened or worn drive belt.
Reply to
Meat-->Plow

The a/c should be run at least once a month to prevent the seals from drying out. The oil is mixed with the refrigerant which lubricates the seals when it circulates through the system.

Reply to
smd