Should I use "Nissan" parts for a tune up?

I use NGK plugs in everything.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

I have not changed the filter on the Nissan, but if the Hastings made filter fits numerous cars, so will the Champion or whoever makes the Nissan filter. I do not know the origins of the Nissan filter, I do for the Amsoil, so that's what I use.

Nope, because reguardless of the price, I will use the Amsoil filter. You probably don't want to know why....

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Ok. I don't and I'm sure the engineers have little to do with replacement parts past writing the specs.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Humor me..

Reply to
Steve

I don't. I use champions if the people who designed the engine say to use them. Found out with an outboard motor that NGK's don't perform as well as champions in that application. That's about the last time I tried to outsmart the people who design the stuff.

Reply to
Steve

"That's about the last time I tried to outsmart the people who design the stuff."

You are very smart person and I commend you. I am with you 100%

I have a very busy lifestyle that I don't have time to second guess designers who know much more than me on there subject.

Reply to
iBuyMinis.Us

My Local Nissan Pusher told me that if there was a non Nissan part in a Nissan engine it would not run right. I just need to find a Nissan brand gas station.once that happens all the problems with a Nissan will disappear. Right? NO! If you go down to your local auto parts store and ask for the cheapest you get what you pay for. When I go parts shopping I go with who ever has the best Warranty. Example alternator for a Nissan 1986 Stanza wagon 4WD : Nissan wants about 400+(usd) 1 year/ 12000 mile warranty Aftermarket about 250(usd) with a lifetime warranty. I base My decisions on warranty and research. If Nissan Parts are SOOO good why is the warranty so short? Life time spark plugs wires Buy once replace as many as needed(current set on the wagon for 5 years and still going strong). To me it appears that if you are smarter than what you drive you can some find some good deals in the aftermarket. Also how many of you replace you engine Oil with Nissan brand? How many of you Top off the Coolant or any of your fluids with Nissan brand? What about tires? What about hoses? Batteries? Belts? If Nissan parts are so good then why do they ware out? and if the after market is SOOO bad why is it still around? Just my 2 cents.

Reply to
Spear

Food for thought. i agree totally, stuff the main dealers charging double the cost because there is a "nissan" mark on it, or any other main dealer for that matter. and who said you get what you pay for? think again, its not hard to double the price of something and fool the public that they are getting a better product...unfortunatly people out there buy it every day. anyone with a good eye for quality can see the difference between good and bad quality of workmanship when they are buying something. you only have to compare nissan servicing costs with smaller garages and ask yourself, what extra am i getting for my "triple the price" service? my guess is, absolutely nothing.

Reply to
steve

I have bought both and sold both I work in an after market store now but OEM plugs and wires are the only way to go. Cap and rotor - debateable. Wells, Standard Ign are good brands to look for. I have seen Nissans being towed in to the shop not running and the only thing the tech would do is take out the brand X plugs and the poor old thing came back to life. N G K ONLY. $50.00 tow bill to find out Nissan don't run on junk LOL

Reply to
tater

If only we could isolate the used cars maintained this way so we can avoid them when we go ashopping.

Reply to
iBuyMinis.Us

Agreed.

If they were all about designing it as good as it gets, why didn't your Nissan come factory with a less restrictive exhaust, a K&N air filter and KONI shock absorbers?

That's what the EXA is in line for - and I won't be suprised if going with good quality aftermarket gear that will ENHANCE my performance is going to cost similar to or less money than Nissan OEM gear that will *HINDER* my performance.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Trounson

The Nissan Skyline filters fit General Motors' Holden Commodore range - whats your point?

You seriously think that each different engine's specs require the filter to be finer/coarser?

Just pull the whole Nissan setup off and pop on a K&N with a nice intake without the series of ludicrous bends with no explanation (do tell me why the E15ET intake tract is about six feet longer than it needs to be?) . :-P

Reply to
Nick Trounson

I'm running Champion plugs smartiepants. In fact... the miss my car developed was the *NISSAN* leads. Multimeter test proved that. New leads (Hamal brand, manufactured by TYCO Industries who supply Paccar with heavy vehicle electrical components and cable) and it's away again.

Reply to
Nick Trounson

Come on this is elementary.

They are indeed designed as good as it gets. They are designed so that an average schmoe can enjoy them and pass fed regs.

I can't wait to take off my Gibson catback because it moved the power curve up into the stratosphere, the K&N filter costs $40.00 instead of $3.00 for the paper filter, not sure if the shock is better or not.

In any case we are talking about maintenance parts

Reply to
iBuyMinis.Us

Thanks for all the opinions on this topic.

Does anyone know if Nissan plug wires are "silicone" wires" I have a 94 Sentra. The reason I'm asking is that I get this brutal radio interference and one suggestion was to replace the wires with silicone wires but are the OEM wires silicone?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Burke

Just wait till the oil from that K&N takes out your $500 MAS.

Reply to
Steve

LOL couldn't be the wrong plugs huh?

Reply to
Steve

Tested the leads with my multimeter - readings were ALL OVER the place. Compared against my Corolla's leads, and that confirmed it.

Leads were shagged - stole the Corolla's leads (it's not a runner at present) and it's away like a ferret shot in the arse again.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Trounson

And the "leads" were how old?

Reply to
Steve

Age should not matter.... they are NISSAN leads is that not good enough? And with Nissan be the creator of all that is good age does not matter... Let us not forget That extra money that is spend on the NISSAN brand (made by the cheapest bidder) are the only thing that will work. I cannot believe that People are still thinking that there is only one brand that will work on Nissans. Does anybody know where I can find light bulbs Made by NISSAN? From what I Have seen they use Toshiba Brand. NOT NISSAN.

What I am trying to say is BE SMARTER than what you drive when you buy parts. There are alot of better than OE parts in the aftermarket. Just do not go in and ask for the cheapest stuff or you will get what you pay for. That only works one way.

Reply to
Spear