Should I use "Nissan" parts for a tune up?

lmao....so by that token everyone uses michelin tyres only because nissan hasn't gotten round to making their own yet.........fair play and you guys who are obsessed by the nissan logo that appears on expensive parts must have too much money..........send a bit my way and i'll soon paint "nissan" on anything you like...how about some "nissan" frank sinatra CD's to play in your nissan (sony) cd player,

Reply to
steve

Who were you replying to? Can't really tell.. The K&N is $40 but you don't throw it away every 3000 miles. The paper filters for my Mustang are closer to $10 not $3, if you buy a paper filter from the Nissan dealer I know full well it will not be $3. When adding power with exhaust it usually does go to a higher RPM, Gibson is not particualrly the best, but by far the most expensive and perhapse the vehicle was not one that takes to modifications well.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

I've used a K&N filter on my Mustang for at 7 years and have the same MAF meter element that was in the car when it was new in 89. It'a never been cleaned or needed it and I inspect it every 6 months when I replace my oil filter. Is there something different about a Nissan element?

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Does a nissan use a Mustang MAS?

7 years and -never- needed cleaning?? :-/
Reply to
Steve

??? These are -tune up parts- that do wear out from age.

Reply to
Steve

Probably. I've never cracked open the one on tha Nissan, I don't have even 1000 miles, but if it's a small heated element inside a sample tube like any other MAS then yes. The aluminum tube get's cleaned when I change the oil, but the element has never needed cleaning. Again, is there something significant;y different about the Nissan part that makes it overly subsceptible? I believe if there is that much oil coming off of a reusable filter then there was too much on it in the forst place.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

What "aluminum tube" are you talking about?

Reply to
Steve

Uh... the one that makes up the meter housing. It may be plastic on the Nissan.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

So what measurements do you Guys use to judge when or when not to use a Nissan part. For example I bought a dozen Nissan filters ahead for my oil changes. What other filters should I have considered? BTW, I paid $5 per and feel very confident about the bypass system thingies and I am using M1.

Reply to
iBuyMinis.Us

If the tube between the filter and the meter needs to be cleaned regularly and the filter never looks dirty in 7 years, did it ever occure to you that the filter isn't doing it's job? :-)

Reply to
Steve

Well given the OE air filters are good for 30K under normal conditions and the fuel filters are good for 60-90K, I'd just use nissan ones for everything?

Yep you did the smart thing, M1 is great oil just don't try to stretch the oil changes because you are using synthetic. Oil still gets dirty and contaminated with acids etc. $5 an oil filter is cheap enough not to try to save money there IMHO.

Reply to
Steve

Man I don't know WHERE the hell you read that, because that is nowhere near anything I ever typed.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Oh I intend to follow the maintenance schedule religiously. It is okay to follow the Nissan book right?

I will be going back to the stock exhaust this weekend.

Reply to
iBuyMinis.Us

?? My point was many people think they can extend the oil interval when they go to M1 and ignore the fact oil get's dirty and full of acids etc.

Reply to
Steve

Then what is a "tube that makes up the meter housing?"

Oh never mind if believe you have this lifetime filter that never gets dirty....

Reply to
Steve

He meant the mass airflow sensing element.

Ran a K&N on my Fiero3800 for its whole life and it never missed a trick, didn't use an AFM rather a MAP setup. :-P

And it'd cane off any of your damn Nissans in the process (thats just for capitals-guy who wants an Altima with a 3.5 RWD setup).

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Trounson

The plug leads were replaced at last tuneup - which was approximately a year ago.

And NO WAY can you tell me that leads die after a year - especially not the superexpensive Nissan variety that you hail as the best thing since sliced bread!

The new leads were at least 80% cheaper, and are of a far higher quality of construction from my past experiences with leads in other vehicles - so why pay too much for something lesser just for the sun logo?

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Trounson

I use extended intervals, but with Amsoil not Mobil.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

When did I say I had a filter that never gets dirty?? I'll just stop here, because since you stated with such apparent authority that a K&N filter would ruin a mass airflow meter I assumed you had seen one before and knew what it looked like. I ran a K&N for 3 years and have had an Amsoil foam filter for 4 and it has not harmed nor "oiled" my mass air meter.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

BTW, I wasn't being sarcastic. I was seriously asking if the Nissan schedule was good enough as I really don't want to reinvent the wheel unless I have to. I know some chaps send of there oil to be tested so they can get there own oil change schedule - too anal for me.

So if I change oil and filter every 3,750 I should be okay then?

Reply to
iBuyMinis.Us