Cap and rotor on 98 Pathfinder

Greetings,

I went to the local auto parts store today to get some parts for a tune up (geez am I intimidated by the plugs!) They told me that a rotor was not listed indicating that it shouldn't have to be replaced; however there is a distributor cap listed.

Is this true? Should I replace the distributor cap? The vehicle has 63K on it. I had it since 41K and always like to keep a fresh set of plugs/wires and filters in there.

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike

LOL! :-)

No.

Not with a "parts store" one.

The vehicle has 63K

The plugs in the car are probably NGK platinums and are easily good for 90K if that's the case. The "parts store" plugs (bosch etc) will make it run worse!

Reply to
Steve T

Actually I did purchase double platinum plugs before I read that platinum plugs are not recommended as the platinum is not a good conductor.

My ma>

Reply to
Mike

That's not what the problem is. NGK makes platinum plugs that last 90K miles easily and perform fine, OTOH Bosch platinums are highly marketed junk.

No, it's probably fine and anything you buy at the "parts store" is going to be such poor quality your old stuff will easly outperform it.

Because the guy at the parts store is a moron. He doesn't have a part listed in his book, therefore it doesn't need to be replaced? Can you see the failed logic in that statement? By that logic, if he doesn't have tires listed for your car, they -never- need replacing either!

BTW I wasn't laughing at you, I was laughing that a parts store guy would come up with a statment like that. Take back everything you bought there (especially the "double platimuns") and buy whatever parts you need later either at a dealer or someone who sells OEM brand parts.

Reply to
Steve T