XJ Tune Up

Couple questions for the group. I'm looking to do a tune up on my '99 XJ 4.0 and came across some "tune up kits" from various vendors. Anyone ever use them? Worth the money, they price out from $40 - $55? Am I better off piecing the kit together myself?

The kits come with plugs, wires, fuel filter, oil filter, air filter, cap and rotor.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Josh

Reply to
Josh

Josh did pass the time by typing:

Price out the parts and see.

Pay attention to the quality in those kits. I've seen it all. Brass rotor and cap material is better than aluminum. Standard sparkplugs. OEM wires. (I use Bosch myself)

Reply to
DougW

My opinion ... use original equipment or recommended Mopar replacement parts.

Reply to
bowgus

considering you dont have plug wires, maybe cheaper to buy items individually....

Reply to
Mindy

Thanks, I'll do some digging,

Josh

I don't? What're those red tubes running from my distributor cap to the plugs?

Reply to
Josh

the 4.0L in the XJ is different than the 4.0L that is in the WJ, it does have a distributor cap and wires. When I did my tune up, I bought the cap and wires at the dealership, plugs at the local AutoZone. The 4.0L that is in the WJ has a coil pack at each sparkplug on a rail.

Kevin in Iowa

99XJ
Kevin in Iowa