Spark Plug Question

I have had my service work done by someone untill about a month ago on my 2000 frontier 4x4. I got curious and started watching what was done and several things I didnt like so I started doing it myself. I have been told by someone that when I change my plugs and wires to put a small amount of anti-sieze on the threads of the plugs, does this sound ok to you guys or not and why. Thanks for any help...

Reply to
Spidermanfan

I was told to put anti-sieze on the threads of spark plugs when I change them, is this ok? The bottle says good up to 1800 degrees and will not gum up. What do you guys think??

Reply to
Spidermanfan

Reply to
JimV

Mandatory w/alum. heads to prevent galling and corrosion.

Reply to
Sue D Nim

Plugs AND wires? How often do you change the wires? Had 6 Jap cars in last 20+ years, 4 with over 100K miles, none needed or had new wires. Once someone has needlessly changed the OEM wires for some locally made junk then you will be in a never ending cycle of changing them as they are never as good as the Jap ones.

Peter Hill

Reply to
Spidermanfan

I have a friend who has a set of Taylor 8mm wires on a car and they have been there for 12 years. The OEMs from Ford were changed two years after it was bought only for the better wires and those have been on it since.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Definitely do it. Just don't overdo it. A small dab on the threads will be plenty. You'll see just how far a little bit goes if you get it on your fingers or clothes. Especially the Permatex brand (silver stuff). ;-)

Wil

Reply to
Truck

JAP = Japanese! Not some crud that just about does the job on a POS.

But this is a Nissan group! Most OEM Jap stuff is the best you can get. What you get on a Ford is what you pay for. Timing belts that snap at 48K miles, 2 months out of warranty when the owners manual says change at 60K. Front disc brakes that need calipers and discs replacing two years running to pass the MOT. Alternators that die before car is 5 years old. Gearboxes where the shift lever comes out in your hand! Having replaced the battery, starter motor, solenoid and fitted additional HD battery leads it still needs a bump start every morning even in summer. (OK I think they have fixed the last two sometime in the last 20 years but the others are problems colleagues have had in the last 5 years)

Then there is the Ford Serria Diesel that stopped suddenly - 5 pushrods were bent double - cam drive gear had stripped (used to be a notorious problem on 1960-70's V6's with fiber gears). Or the Serria XR4x4, they tend to get knocking noises from the front drive shaft UJ's before 80K miles. Can't easily replace the UJ's they are peened in so it's a new shaft.

Peter Hill