Timing chain problem in a NISSAN ALTIMA

Hi,

+I intend to buy a 1997 Nissan Altima, GXE 119,000 miles for 3000 USD. This car looks good but when I brought it to an automechanic, he told me that there is a noise in timing chain. He just took a glance and heard the sound from the engine. He seemed very hurry at that time. I am wondering if that timing chain makes noise is normal for a used car after 119,000 miles. What If I don't change it and still drive it for a while in local road?

+please tell me where in the car I can read the VIN?

  • I want to see if the airbag and ABS are functioning. I hear we can see the lights in the car, do you know where they are ?

+finally, this car once was used a a rental vehicle. Is it a problem? I heard that it is oki since rental company maintained very well their car.

Thanks

Reply to
VijaKhara

Timing chains will make a little noise, but if it's rattling at idle and goes away as engine speed increases, you've probably got a broken chain guide or tensioner. I drove my wife's 240SX with a broken guide for about 10,000 miles with no problems and never bothered to fix it until last summer. Still, a timing chain replacement is relatively inexpensive if you can do it yourself. Not too difficult, but it can get a little involved depending on the engine. I did the chain on the

240 in a weekend.. 160k on the clock and it'll still bark the tires going into 3rd gear.

Should be on the drivers side dash, viewable through the windshield.

My personal thought on rentals cars is they're well maintained by the company, but the people that rent 'em tend to flog the hell out of 'em.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

The chains (there is an upper and a lower) should not make noise.

There was a TSB on the Altimas to simply remove the upper chain guide to eliminate the rattle. Worn belt tensioner pulleys and cracked accessory belts can also cause a similar sounding rattle. These things are minor maintenance items.

On the other hand, if the engine has not had regular oil changes, the chains, or the chain tensioners, could be in bad shape. If that is the case, you should not buy this car, because replacing the chains, especially the lower chain, is an expense on the order of an engine overhaul.

Reply to
E Meyer

Alternatively, these KA24DE motors are fairly cheap, so if you find the car to be in good condition and there is no damage to teh frame/ underbosy, you can drive it as is untill the motor blows or the timing issue escalates then replace the motor with a 2000-01 and you'll be fine. The cost of the lower KM motor and install should be around teh same as changing the timing chain and rebuilding.

good luck

A.A

Dreiden Business Solutions - Toronto Web Design

dreiden.com