What tailgaters deserve

If life was fair cops would drag tailgaters out of their cars and beat them within an inch of their lives instead of just tasering college students and beating up minorities. What would be even better is if you were in a car being driven by that limo driver from the Get Smart movie (1:14 in the trailer

) and when the tailgaters weretoo close, your driver would slam on the brakes, the tailgaters wouldcause an accident and when your buiding with hair of a limo driver gotout of the car and walked towards them, the tailgaters would need somedepends real fast.

Reply to
Sal

I've been living in a Northern Calif. area where nobody tailgates. On the other hand, they don't stop for pedestrians very much.

After many years I drove south to Los Angeles at 55 mph. I just couldn't understand all the people and truck drivers who don't understand that the right lane is the slow lane, and they appear to punish you for being there by sitting on your tail for a bit before almost knocking your tail light off passing you.

Why don't they join the other 65+ mph folks in the left lane(s)? I think they may become disoriented surrounded by traffic out there.

Then there are the ones waiting to take the next off-ramp.

If you have to stop suddenly I'm sure that many of them would rear-end you.

Any driver out there could blow a tire, hit the brakes, and swerve all over the freeway. I've seen it happen.

The truck drivers are supposed to be professionals but they were playing monkey see, monkey do on those roads.

I was a truck driver myself. My mission was to keep away from the cars.

Reply to
Ed Light

They've not seen such a slow driver before, and it does not occur to them that you are doing 55 out of choice instead of doing 55 on the way to 70+. Because they expect 70+, they are slow to react to your insistance to do only 55.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

"Jeff Strickland" ...

Going 55 when all of the traffic is going 70 can be construed as the infraction of 'obstructing the normal flow of traffic'. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Per Tomes:

After getting a ticket for going 67 on 42 South in NJ from some cop who seemed indignant about the whole thing, I tried running that road at a true 55 (the posted limit) a few times.

Sheesh! A number of people were visibly upset, and some of them were actually accelerating away from me as they went down off-ramps.

Heaven forbid somebody going 55 should have to exit left.

Personally, I didn't feel safe and now that I've had my little snit fit, I don't intend to do it any more.

A true 60, yes - that works...on that particular road.

But 55? No way Jose'.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

It could be, but seldom is.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The problem is why don't people realize the left lane is the fast lane and stop hugging it and holding up those who want to go faster? This leaves the right lane open for passing the idiots who won't move over when they're talking on their cell phones and leaving a quarter-mile open in front of them. If you can't keep up with the traffic you should move over to the right. Your particular situation is due to the actions of others and the reaction of the drivers to your dilly-dallying is because they have grown accustomed to using the right lane for passing.

Reply to
badgolferman

The same person who started this thread as well as another one about big SUVs and ended up posting a link to a study which he thought proved that big SUVs are less safe than small cars, despite the finding of the study. He's an unhappy troll.

I remember an article in the paper when the national speed limit was set at

55MPH during the Carter administration. There were several guys in So. Cal. who were pissed off that most people continued to drive at 65-70MPH, so they got together and drove 55MPH side by side on a Los Angeles freeway. All of them, including the driver in the far right lane were cited for obstructing traffic.

Personally, I drive to the right, except to pass (even if I have to change lanes several times over the course of a mile), or when the freeway junction or exit I wish to take is one of the left lanes, then I speed up to match the traffic in those lanes, regardless of the posted speed limit. Also, when on a mountain road or a highway with only one lane of traffic in my direction of travel and someone comes up behind me, I find the first place I can to pull over and let them pass, regardless of the speed I'm driving or the posted speed limit.

Courtesy and safety go both ways - don't tailgate and get out of the way of faster moving vehicles. My father taught me "you might be right, but you could be _dead_ right, too." For the sake of this thread, if some one is tailgating, yeah they are breaking the law (you may be too), but what's the harm in getting out of their way and possibly avoiding a crash?

Reply to
Ed H.

Sometimes they're right on your tail, so you can't dodge into dirt turnouts when they suddenly come up because you might get rear ended. But if they're not, you can take the first practical turnout.

Reply to
Ed Light

"Ed H." ...

Well put and I agree. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

This makes me remember what I wanted to do a long time ago, which was to mount a camera [even a fake one] on a pedestal and have it rise up from the trunk or bumper with a sign on it saying 'TailgaterCam'. I always wondered how that would have played out... Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

When I was in high school my friend was trying to race his German Ford Capri against a Dodge Challenger one night. We were right on the Dodge's butt and apparently the guy didn't like how close we were. Suddenly a bright light that had been integrated into the rear bumper lit up and blinded us enough to make my friend immediately back off and let the Dodge go. That was a very effective tailgater deterrent.

Reply to
badgolferman

Hey, let's all agree to let Sal proffer his crap and not reply to it.

Niggle: The double-nickel was mandated by the Nixon administration in 1974 as a reaction to the oil embargo crisis of 1973. It was continued until

1987 when states were allowed to raise their limits to 65 mph on some highways . In 1995 all federal limits were repealed, allowing states to decide their own limits.

AJM '93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Reply to
CardsFan

on 6/23/2008 8:45 PM Tomes said the following:

My friend was a cop and his take home vehicle was an unmarked Ford Crown Vic with hidden EM lights and siren. Many times someone would come up right on his tail and hang there at less than a car length. My friend turned on the hidden EM lights for a second and the offender would drop back about 10 car lengths. Other times, when he was stuck in a pack and observed a driver that was in hurry and was making gestures to the cars in front of him/her, a tap on the siren calmed everyone down.

Reply to
willshak

This thread has nothing to do with any of the 4 groups that it has been displayed in.

It should actually be in alt.phycologically.disturbed. The anger and hostility shown by the original poster has got to be evindent to most of you. The cross posting is screaming for attention along with the tone of his attacks on some vehicles and some people.

The anger shown by him to the tailgaters only shows the pending location of the next accident. The one redeeming feature to this is for all drivers to be aware of the other driver, he may be as angry as these posts indicate. Drive to stay alive, not to get even, it won't correct this guy's misguided life.

Sorry for the cross post, I'm weak like that sometimes.

Reply to
Dad

I thought that there was still some version of Population Density in the equation of setting speed limit? Did that go away in `95?

Reply to
Zombywoof

Thank you for your refreshingly perceptive post. Well put.

Whether we like it or not, we all lead by example.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

So far as this article says, the feds left all speed limit decisions up to states: