2002 Altima Using Oil

Should my 3.5SE 5spd be using oil. I am needing to put oil into it between changes. I have 29000km 18,000 miles on it.

I do not drive the car hard at all and most of my driving is on a freeway. I cannot see any oil leaks but this is starting to worry me a little.

What do you think?

Ian B

How often and how much oil do you need to add? The VQ35DE shouldn't have oil burning issue, take it back to the dealer and ask them for a complete check.

Reply to
PhilGood

Have you read the owners manual? I think it answers your question.

Ed

Hi,

How much oil are you talking about? If it's going from "normal" to low within a period of two weeks or less then you may have some compression problems. Get the dealership to do a compression test on the car's engine. If this has always been an issue then you may have this issue because you are driving a 5-speed (like me) and do a fair bit of engine braking.

But, my suggestion is EXTREMELY important. There is an issue slowly developing with these cars. The pre-catalytic converter under the car is overheating and destroying itself and then the pieces are shattering the main catalytic. Then eventually the pieces go back into the engine and score the piston rings and you start burning oil. I really hope this isn't your issue because this requires a new engine.

And "no" I'm not trying to scare the hell out of you. If you hear ANY rattling in your exhaust (even the slightest bit) when you decelerate or if you rev the engine in neutral then you may have an issue.

Good luck,

Reply to
10e