93' Nissan Altima shuts down while driving

I have a 93 Nissan Altima and it was running fine then next thing you know it shuts down on me while i'm in traffic driving. I took it to the shop and they say they can't find the problem, but he believes that it has something to do with the spaark to the engine. It's like if the engine gets a little hot then the car decides to shut off but the needle is not reading that the car is over heating. Do anyone have any suggestions on what the problem may be ?

Reply to
datgurldutchie05

About how long would you say can it be driven before it shuts off? Does it shut off all the time or just once in a while? When it refuses to start, does the tachometer (the one that measures RPM) move a little while starting?

Reply to
remco

i have the same problem, it runs fine - however it sometimes cut off when i step on the breaks at a light or toll booth. i then have to shift to neutral and start it again.

so did you solve your problem -please let me know

Reply to
93altima

I have the same problem, it stared when i car began idling really low when i stopped, and now it dies at lights and such. When i got it fixed the first time they changed the Coolent Temperature Sensor. This worked for about six months. So see if you can get some to check that out.

Reply to
amandah

I had a bad negative battery cable clamp and replaced it. The new cable has a twist knob I assumed was for removing the battery post clamp so the flat could be bolted to the side terminal batteries. Turns out if this is even the slightest bit loose, the twist knob, electrical contact between the battery and the car can become intermittent. Mine was causing the engine to cut out for seconds at a time.

Reply to
William T. Johnston