can running with the throttle position sensor unplugged damage the car?

Hi folks. Happy new year! I've been wrestling with my egg beater altima and I think I've got it narrowed down to the TPS.

Question 1: Can it hurt the car if I drive with the TPS disconnected? The idle seems fine with the TPS disconnected, although it does stall out at lower rpm/clutch engaged when slowing down. It actually runs better with the TPS disconnected though, as I can rev up the engine while the clutch is engaged and other little tricks. I have to order this part or try to get to the salvage yard between snow storms, and I'm wondering if I drive with the TPS disconnected from the harness, if that can cause damage to the car. I just need to do this for a little while to get over the hump. Nobody has the part in stock, and it could take a while to get it.

Question 2: If I have the engine turned on with the TPS disconnected, shouldn't the check engine light come on? It doesn't seem to.

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
willydog